Part-time Program Assistant
Posted: July 5, 2017
The National Council of Jewish Women New York (NCJW NY) seeks an organized, friendly, compassionate individual, with a passion for working with older adults to serve as the face of one of NCJW NY’s principal programs, Council Lifetime Learning (CLL). This position is an excellent opportunity for someone seeking a part-time position in non-profit program management.
CLL promotes healthy aging for active older adults on the Upper West Side and beyond. CLL’s robust roster of weekly classes, discussion groups and events with an emphasis on arts and culture, engage and empower participants. CLL provides a supportive environment helping older adults continue to learn and grow, thereby defying society’s age-related stereotypes.
The part-time Program Assistant reports to the Director of Community Programs and works in partnership with the Social Worker, the Communications & Development Associate as well as other staff and a diverse group of volunteers.
- Act as initial point of contact for visitors and clients in the reception area.
- Explain CLL program offerings and NCJW NY membership to new participants, working with them to choose and register for classes and activities and renew membership.
- Collect and process membership and registration fees.
- Track class registrations and attendance on an ongoing basis, entering data into database.
- Assist with communication and outreach to CLL participants and potential participants; update registration materials, create and distribute flyers and send email blasts.
- Coordinate CLL events including open houses, luncheons, art shows, performances and holiday celebrations.
- Work with our staff social worker to identify clients in need of additional outreach, resources and referrals.
- Special projects as assigned.
- College degree.
- One to two years’ experience in a relevant non-profit/customer service position.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications (Word, Publisher and Excel).
Additional Characteristics and Skills:
- Desire to work with older adults.
- Compassion and listening skills.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to interact comfortably with a broad range of populations within a community center setting, from high level donors and Board members to volunteers to program participants.
- Ability to multitask.
- Ability to work as a member of a team as well as independently.
- Commitment to the mission of NCJW NY.
The Program Assistant will work approximately 18-20 hours a week, generally Tuesday through Friday from 9:30-2:30. The specific hours may vary a bit week to week but are generally not negotiable.
To apply, please submit resume along with a customized cover letter detailing your qualifications for this specific position and the reason(s) for your interest in the opportunity:
Naomi Skop Richter
Director of Community Programs
National Council of Jewish Women New York
No phone calls, please.
NCJW NY is an equal opportunity employer.