NCJW NY is accepting applications for the following positions:
- Back 2 School Intern (Part-time, Unpaid)
Back 2 School Store Intern (Part-time, Unpaid)
Posted: February 2018
The National Council of Jewish Women New York (NCJW NY) seeks an organized, motivated and passionate undergraduate or graduate student to support the Back 2 School Store 2018. This position is an excellent opportunity for a student seeking hands-on program and volunteer management experience in a small non-profit.
The Back 2 School Store provides clothing and school supplies to almost 200 low-income students throughout NYC each August. A team of staff and volunteer works for months to solicit and purchase merchandise to be given out at the store. Each year the Back 2 School store offers the opportunity for over 100 volunteers to “staff” the store and serve as personal shoppers as students pick out their own clothes. The Back 2 School Store, which will be held on Sunday, August 5, 2018 is an inspiring and empowering day!
The Back 2 School Store Intern reports to the Director of Community Programs and works in partnership with the Director of Advocacy and Volunteer Engagement and a diverse group of volunteers.
- Outreach to local potential partner agencies and businesses, by email and in person, about collecting in-kind or monetary donations to support the Back 2 School Store.
- Contact wholesalers and manufacturers by mail, phone and in person to solicit in-kind clothing donations.
- Work with the Director of Community Programs to purchase clothing and school supplies and arrange appropriate delivery.
- Physically count and inventory all donations and purchases, and manage the master Excel spreadsheet.
- Maintain communications with volunteers working on procuring merchandise and arranging for them to help with counting and inventory.
- Plan and implement decorations for the store, alongside volunteer team, to create a fun and festive environment.
- Complete data entry of student information and sizes.
- Initiate contact with community partners and arrange for them to attend the Back 2 School Store in the Resource Center.
- Participate in cleanup and follow-up following the Back 2 School Store including but not limited to packing and inventory of clothing and supplies, sending thank you notes, ordering and mailing missing clothing, entering evaluation data.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- High school degree.
- Relevant previous work or volunteer experience.
- Skilled in managing large spreadsheets with Excel.
Additional Characteristics and Skills:
- Ability to multitask.
- Ability to interact comfortably with a broad range of professionals, volunteers and stakeholders, including high level donors and Board members.
- Ability to work as a member of a team as well as independently.
- Commitment to the mission of NCJW NY.
The Back 2 School Store Intern will be available to report to NCJW NY for 8 hours a week from March through May 2018, increasing to 16 hours a week from June through August. Applicants must be available full-time (9-5) on August 2nd, 3rd and 6th and 8-5 on Sunday, August 5th.
To apply, please submit resume along with a customized cover letter detailing your qualifications for this specific position and the reason(s) for your interest in the opportunity:
Naomi Skop Richter, Director of Community Programs, National Council of Jewish Women New York
No phone calls, please. NCJW NY is an equal opportunity employer.