Council Lifetime Learning
NCJW New York Section addresses the social, intellectual and creative needs of people 55+ at
Council Lifetime Learning, 241 West 72nd Street.
Council Lifetime Learning fosters community, strength, and creativity. People join Council House to learn, create,
express ideas, meet people and enjoy a warm, inviting ambiance. Council House offers:
Council Lifetime Learning offers a variety of volunteer opportunities. Our volunteers create an atmosphere
where everyone has a voice and a place to feel at home. Volunteers teach classes, sit on committees, entertain,
and even serve meals at special occasions.
- The Art Department: classes in acrylic, ceramics, life drawing, stained glass, watercolor, and weaving; art exhibits and art sales open to the public throughout the year.
- Computer Classes: beginner to Advance
- CHAI (Council Healthy Aging Initiative): monthly lectures, workshops, health screenings, flu shots and Yearly Senior Health and Fitness Fair on the last Wednesday of May. Also, monthly workshops and informative sessions on Medicare Issues with a Medicare Rights Center Counselor.
- Council House College: Professionally produced lectures on DVD with some of the top professors from noted Universities. Lectures in History, Sciences and the Arts are offered three times per week with bonus live lecturers from time to time. Also, creative writing;;art, literature, history, Jewish studies;. Also beginner Spanish and Spanish Conversation
- Discussion Groups: Men's Group; Women's Group; Mind Aerobics; Short Story Group; Emotional Aspects of Aging.
- Exercise classes: Body Fitness, Yoga, Sit Down to get Down and Tap Dancing
- Trips, Walks and Excursions: opportunities to explore NYC and environs, near and far
- Gerson Cultural Arts Series: concerts, plays, dance performance and guest lecturers.
- Performing Arts: Open House Theatre: Drama Classes, Professionally Produced Actors' Equity Approved Showcase Productions with advance and novice members welcomed. Also: Musical Theatre Workshop, Voice Training class, and Piano Instruction.
- Parties, Luncheons and Teas: celebrate holidays, and special occasions.
- The Box Office: tickets to plays, dance, opera and concerts.
- Social Work Services: information and referral to a wide variety of community agencies.
- Social Action Committee: Plan to effect societal change on a variety of local and state wide issues working alongside elected officials and Community Organizations.
- Support and Connection Groups: Alzheimer's Spousal Support Group; Loss Recovery Group.
- Games and Classes: beginner classes.
- The LINC Program for People with Memory Impairment: LINC participants meet every Wednesday and Friday for a 3 hour program of social activities and a meal. The LINC group also takes part in regular Council Lifetime Learning offerings like concerts, parties, movies and more.
Come to Council Lifetime Learning, where you are our most important asset!
For information about joining Council Lifetime Learning or participating in the LINC program, call (212) 687-5030.
To volunteer, JOIN US...